Monday, November 22, 2010

Tone Tidal Wave By Jasmine Crespo

The time I had to speak to an audience that I didn’t quite know how to approach was last Friday. I was asked to explain tone to Ms.Lafortune’s seventh period. I had an interesting time trying to wrap the exact definition of tone in my mind. In my opinion, tone can be shown, then told about. Also worded as the infamous phrase- “Show me, do not tell me”. I also had to realize that my audience was a room full of my peers. Peers equals I have to act more natural and not business like in my rant/lesson. (If you look on 26 Ways to Fail you will see I like ranting) I love teaching and helping people but for this one I was drawing a blank. To fill in that blank I decided to take one of the best authors I know and compare it to one of the worst authors I know. (After all I am entitled to my opinion)
I finally decided to teach my doing examples. (Of course this decision came five seconds before I entered the classroom. I decided to do two extremes, (two writers) Stephanie Meyer and Lewis Carroll. The problem was, not that many students have read the work of both authors so I had to keep quoting: “The Jabberwocky”. (Thank you Ms. Loveless for having that as an option to memorize.) I had a blast and I think they listened to me. (Notice the verb “think” obviously I cannot read minds, but I can sort of read faces, some looked like they were dying a slow and painful death and some looked as though they were actually paying attention.)

No comments:

Post a Comment