Monday, November 22, 2010

Peter Rosen's paragraphs

Useless Title
Writing to an audience is an essential, if overlooked, component of writing.* In every bit of writing ever done, it is important to write to someone. It doesn’t always matter who, but sometimes it makes all the difference. The other thing about writing to an audience is that sometimes, despite your best attempts, it falls flat. (That sentence was weird, wasn’t it? Oh well, I’m not interested enough in revision to change it.) There isn’t always a reason why. I have a story that goes well with this idea of writing to an audience.
My group was supposed to present a theme to the class. This seemed easy enough (To be honest, it didn’t just seem easy enough, it was easy enough.); we had been able to find an acceptable amount of depth, and, after all, who can’t relate to food? Don’t answer that; it was rhetorical. We were targeting an audience of hungry ninth graders right before lunch, but for some reason, it didn’t work. It just fell flat. No audience participation, no reaction to our script, no nothing. (Yes, that was a fragment. Thank you grammar freak on the back row.) It is a simple story, but it tells us a lot. An audience is a difficult to predict, and very real, force in writing.

*At this point, all of you who are not forced to read this have stopped reading. Thank you for your effort.

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't forced to read it and yet I did... I think I might be a freak of nature.
    Marisa B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice commentary. Your paragraph is actually pretty interesting. :)
    -Alison C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this for fun Peter! (Wow I'm weird....) I'm kidding. Personally I liked your monolauge and thought you did amazing in this presentation.
    -Jasmine Crespo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice commentary, by the way, I think that, "The other thing about writing to an audience is that sometimes, despite your best attempts, it falls flat." is a fine sentence. Truly a work of art.

    Daniel Powell

    ReplyDelete