Thursday, October 15, 2009

Paragliding by Kaleb Rasmussen

I always wanted to do this so why couldn't I now? I was pacing back and forth in front of my van; it was always beat up, trash stuffed in the back and dead bugs on the dashboard. I could not figure whether to go ahead this or not. I decided that I better do this or my cousin will be disapointed in me when I show up on the ground and not from the sky. I put my gear on, it took me a few seconds from all the practice on myself. Then I grabbed the glider that was folded in the front seat, put it together, and headed for the high ledge which was about 50 from the van.
Once I got to the front of the line, remembering from my studies since I never took lessons. I had to jump at exactly the right ti-woah! I am in the air! I shift to one side and the whole glider moves erraticly to the side. I need to focus. I need to land in the foothills on the other side of the valley. But I just couldn't seem to find the exact spot. I found it! Uh oh, I could see all the other gliders around me wobbling. I seemed to sense it before it got to me, the high wind. I relaxed and went through the text again, when this wind gets to you, you have to relax, lift up right as it hits you and you'll do fine. I did exactly what it said, yes, I got it! I angled my body toward the area where I wanted to be, and prepared for the dive. I tightened my grip, and ...dived! I could hardly hear the yelps of surprise, that other gliders, and paragliders were giving me as I rushed to the ground, all I could think of was getting the right angle and position.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! You kept me on the edge of my seat. Great use of suspense.

    Ms. L

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD JOB! You kept me reading the whole time! GOOD GOOD GOOD JOB!

    Janelle Leppink

    ReplyDelete