Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Girl in the Crazy Glasses By Ellie Dow

I started to write this over the summer and I just loved it and I'm thinking of entering into the 'Na No Wri Mo'. This is only the first chapter and if you want to read the rest that I've written you can go to my blog. Here's the link: http://polk-a-dotted-zebra.blogspot.com/
Alright, here's the first chapter. Make sure to tell me what you think. I love opinions. Thanks!

Chapter 1

All my life I’ve wanted to be known for something important. To make a difference doing something nobody else could do. But how? Let me introduce myself, I’m Charlotte Mate, or what most people call me, The girl in the crazy glasses. Another thing you could call me, Unpopular. How I became that way. I have always been different. I always wanted to fit in but I just couldn’t. My dad tried to invite the kids of the people he was in charge of and before the parents even left the house they were screaming and clinging to their parents’ legs. What else could I do? I sat in the tire swing, confused, not knowing what else to do. Dad came out and leaned on the swing. “What’s the matter sweetie,” he said. “Nobody likes me and nobody will. I look like a freak.” Angrily I tore off my glasses and threw them to the floor. “All because of these.” I crouched in to a small ball, hiding my face in my legs, feeling warm tears run down my face.“Sweetie,” dad started. It doesn’t matter what’s on the outside, what matters is what’s in your heart.” He lifted my head, pulled out a hankie from his pocket and wiped the tears as they began to fade. He grabbed my hand and put it against my heart. I could feel the warmth of my chest and the pounding of my heart. When that happened, I knew that he was right. My heart was pure, and so was his. I just couldn’t feel it for a while.I looked into my dad’s eyes, blue and pure. He knelt down to pick up my glasses and put them on me in such a gentle way. He began to smile, the smile he hadn’t had since mom died. We stayed out until the moon shone brightly above us.Then all of a sudden that smile began to fade, his eyes began to roll back, his spine quiver. He began to shake on the ground uncontrollably. “Dad!” I cried. I ran inside and called 911. “My Dad, something’s happening to him, you’ve got to come now,” I screamed into the phone. “Don’t worry dad, you’re going to be all right, I know you are.” I looked into his eyes again, they didn’t look like his anymore.

12 comments:

  1. You can write so well Ellie! I absolutely loved that. Keep writing it. I can't wait to read more! You have a talent with words Ellie!

    Taryn Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What else can I say?! Thats amazing! I loved all the great detail! What did her glasses look like?


    Kelsey Ross

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Ellie that was amazing! You have a real talent for writing! Cant wait to read the rest :)


    Berkley L Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so good you could publish it right now. You really have a talent with words.
    -Savid Acuna

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how to take a sad, heart-warming story and the suddenly turn it in to action. Your powerful words hooked me and I want to read more. Keep writing, you will just keep getting better and better! Good job!

    -Tessa Yates

    P.S. I like the character Tessa:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun tone. I'm glad you posted it on our blog. It takes courage to do that...a mark of a true writer.

    Ms. L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good writing! Keep it up!!

    By: Janelle Leppink

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so good, wow. You have such a talent.

    Brynn N Hall

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks guys! It means a lot that all of you guys commented!
    Ellie Dow

    ReplyDelete