Thursday, October 15, 2009

Here is my short story rough draft, be brutal with comments thanks :)

Berkley Mitchell

We had just finished the qualifying game, and we had won! Are coach had taken us out to center field to congratulate us on our victory, and he had come with a warning about the upcoming game we were going to be facing. We were to play the Predators. He told us that he wanted us to go home and rest up, he wanted us full of energy, when the time came.
As we all head home, you just know that everyone is thinking about the most important game of our young short lives! This game depends on whether we go to the state championship or not, everyone gets home and just sits by the clock and watches as that slow minute hand slowly counts down…
Jeter gets in the batter’s box, and gets an easy single, and then she steals to second and makes it effortless. Erica strikes out leaving us with one out, then lexis steppes up and hits a hard grounder to the third basemen and it zips right past her. Leaving Jeter and lexis on first and second. Madi gets up and pops outs giving us two outs, Rashelle steps up and smacks one to left center and moves everyone one base. Then I get up bases loaded, two outs, and the knowledge that I’m going to crush the ball. But instead I ground out from third. As I walk back from first, I lift my head up, and take a deep breath, and tell myself that I am going to get a great hit.
It goes back to back innings, and we get closer and closer to the final inning, both teams battle harder and harder to pull ahead of the other team. Both teams are tired and beat down but play with every last strength, doing things they have not ever thought that they could possibly do!
Batters out screams the ump, as we race into the dugout for the finally inning of this bloody battle. “Ok girls, this is what we have been working and training for, go show these people why fusion deserves and have earned this!” Yelled Coach Bree, over the cheers of our anxious parents in the rumbling stands. “Hey guys new pitcher” called Zoe from the far end of dugout. Simultaneously we all turn our heads, and we see this minuscule girl with brown braids and the biggest glasses you have ever seen! We all just start to laugh and go back to our conversations. But then we here the loudest battle cry, you have ever heard, and we watch the ball go from pitcher to catcher in point three seconds! Everyone does a double take! And you could see the worry on everyone’s face, as Jeter steps up to the plate and the ump yells “Batter up!” She takes a deep breath and steps up to the challenge, “Strike one” Bellows the ump, “Come kid nobody better” yells the team and the parents. Then the pitcher did the most daring pitch out there…. A down the middle fast ball. When Jeter sees the chance she grabs it with both hands and holds on for the ride. She hits the gas and coasts gracefully around the bases as if a blades on ice. When she gracefully dives into third, a scream erupts from the parents and the girls! She is beaming ear to ear! With the pitcher starting to feel the pressure her pitches slowly drift from strikes to balls. After two batters the bases are loaded, and big bad Rashelle steps up to the plate, you can see the pitcher turn a ghostly shade of white. When Rashelle get the pitch she drives it up to right field, past the right fielder and slams into the fence, the crowd goes ballistic, as one, two, three runs score! With the winning run on third! As I step up to bat, there is only one thing on my mind, the perfect pitch, and the perfect hit. All that we need is a base hit and we win, as soon as the pitcher releases the ball Rashelle get a huge jump, and I pull the perfect inside pitch and it gets past the third base man and Rashelle corse and we win! The crowd goes mad!
Everyone rushes to the field, and jumps on top of Rashelle and I, and we get hugged, praised, and adored, I looked over the teams pitcher who was weeping, I mange to pull myself out from the pile of madness, and I walk over to her, and congratulate her, and tell her what a heck of a game she pitched. And tell her to keep up the good work, and hope to see her again sometime. She managed to look up at me and say “thank you for being such a great sport, and you played on heck of a game to.”
And I knew deep down in my heart that I would see her again someday, maybe not on the softball field, but somewhere along our life journeys.

3 comments:

  1. Thats really good Berkley it sounds like an average game for you. You may want to go through and refrase a bit and check some of your spelling but its way good and you wont have to change much. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great! There were a couple spelling errors, but over all it's really good. Also "slow minute hand slowly..." seems a bit repetitive. I would take out the first slow.
    Peter Rosen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very detailed. I can picture the game, and the crowd going wild. I agree with the other comments, there are a bit spelling errors, but over all I can tell that if you continue this story, it will surely be a wonderful book.-Yvonne Wu

    ReplyDelete