Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Sidekick By Ellie Dow

Most of you know who my older sister is, Meghan Dow. She is known for her singing, being in the school play, and being the 8th grade Vice President last year. Did you also notice that you never see Meg in Gym. Well, there's a reason for that.
In 2006, my sister was happy. She was on the Murray Max soccer team and loved every second of it. One day her coach told her to do training at TOSH. My mom and I would drop her off every Monday and then my mom would take me to dance. It was the same routine every week, until one day in January when I got a call from my mom saying that Meg passed out while she was on the treadmill.
For the rest of the week Meg was tested at the hospital to see what was wrong. For one of the days my mom dropped Delaney and me at our grandparents' house. I stared through the glass door, waiting for my mom to come with the news. At 7 P.M. my mom finally came, her face stained with tears. Without telling Delaney and I what was going on she took our grandma into the back with the door closed so we couldn't hear.
"My sister is dead," I thought to myself. My rolemodel, my best friend, the person that was always there for me dead. I sat down on the kitchen chair an began to cry. My mom came out and quietly took Delaney and me home. When Delandey fell asleep I asked my mom where meg was. She said that she was at home and that she had a heart problem called Heart Arythmia which meant she couldn't play any sports or run. Later that week Meg had to quit Murray Max. It devastated us all seeing her have to give up her favorite thing at the time.
We were all worried that Meg was going to become depressed and sad, but she proved us wrong. She came out every day with a big smile on her face and loved life. When she came to the Jr. High she found something she loved even more than soccer, her real talent, singing.
There are up and downs in everyone's life, some not as bad as others. But we can't let it bring us down. I know that I didn't get heart problems, but that sorrow affected us in different ways, but the ones that were hurt the most were the hero and the sidekick.

2 comments:

  1. Aww. I never knew!! What inspired you too write about this? I think its really great that she was able to pick up her life after such a tragic thing happened. Not many people are strong enough to do that.

    Kelsey Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, people are just going through so many hard things right now with the economy and it's bringing everyone down so I thought I should write about a story that made people realize that everyone in the world has some sort of meloncholy and relating to someone really makes it easier to make it through.

    Ellie Dow

    ReplyDelete