Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The First few Chapters of Dear Juliet- A novel by Jasmine Crespo

Dear Juliet,
I’m in love with someone I see every day. She’s perfect, I try to talk to her but I hesitate too long and miss my chance. What should I do?
- Love-sick Larry
Dear Larry,
What you should do is actually talk to the girl. Instead of just looking at her, go up and talk to her, see if she’s perfect. Don’t hesitate, it’s your life, it’s your fault if you miss out on your perfect girl. Chew some gum it helps your nerves and your breath. Love,
Juliet
Dear Juliet,
I tried your advice and it worked! She said yes to a date. You’re a genius! You were also right about the gum it calmed my nerves. We went to dinner and a movie.
- (No more) Love-sick Larry
Dear Larry,
Thank you for all the flattery. I’m happy to see that your results were spectacular. Please write again if you have any other problems.
Love,
Juliet
Dear Juliet,
I like this boy at school but he doesn’t notice me at all. He’s in almost all my classes and likes the same stuff I do. I have a major crush that if not noticed, will explode in a messy manner.
- Crushing Kelly
Dear Kelly,
My suggestion is just to talk to him. He can’t do anything more than say “no”. You’re not going to die if he turns you down for a date. As for the exploding predicament, I suggest that you disarm your crush bomb and tell the boy how you feel, all the rest will fall in place.
Love,
Juliet






Chapter 1-
“Stop the car”! Yelled Juliet as she was nearly plowed down on the busy New York crosswalk. “Watch where you’re going”! the angry taxicab driver yelled back.
Who would know that exact moment that would change Juliet’s life? For then as she was arguing with the stubborn cab driver, the love of her life passed her by on a bike. The biker almost crashed because he was staring at the scene.
For the story’s sake, let’s call this man on the bike Henry. I’m not saying if it is his real name or not. Henry’s goal in life is simple, to live. He has no plan for the future except that it is going to be bright.
After living with his older brother since he was 15, he wants a place to call his own. It will take a lot of work, especially since he is a lowly photographer for the New News newspaper. It is here where our story begins.
“You’re late again Henry” recited Marsha the newspapers’ secretary. “You’re already skating on thin ice, don’t make it worse. I don’t want a kid like you on the streets”.
“Don’t worry Marsh, if they haven’t caught me yet, what makes you think they’re going to now”? Henry mocked confidently as he walked backwards into the bustling office.
“Let me guess, car trouble? But in order to have that you’d actually have to own a car!” Cackled the evil witch that was Nicole.
“Well I’m sorry, I don’t have a ten speed broom that magically transports me to wherever my heart, or in your case a black hole, desires. Not all of us are that lucky”. replied Henry.
The satisfied look on Henry’s face was enough to turn Nicole’s face a vibrant red.
“Jensen”! Hollered the angry Mr. Goodman. Henry cowered at the sound of his booming voice.
“Coming sir!” He yelled back.
“Busted”. Remarked Bridgette as she was crouching to pick up some fallen papers.
“Your not in trouble until you get caught Bri. How many times to I have to tell that to you?” said Henry with a smirk.
“Enough times that you actually get caught Henry. Now you better get to Goodman’s office before he blows a gasket”. Bridgette urged him.
“Okay, okay, any more insults before I enter the dark hole of despair?” said Henry jokingly.
Ten hands shot up in eagerness to make fun of their beloved co-worker.
“Good luck PJ!” yelled Karen, the new intern, from the corner of the office. (As you can tell, I almost let the character’s name slip.)
Henry quickly dashed to Goodman’s office and entered inconspicuously. While upon entering, he was taking time to note every detail of the office to describe to his friends later.
“Please take a seat,” Mr. Goodman said as he offered the chair in front of him to Henry.
“Thank you.” Henry said as he slunk back into the padded chair.
“Now, do you know why I called you here today Henry?” Mr. Goodman asked as though there was a chance in the world that Henry would know.
“No, sir; what?” replied Henry.”
“I called you here today to discuss you performance at work.” said Goodman. “You’re a great photographer Jensen; you just need to expand your horizons. That is why we’re moving you to writing where you will be on sports with O’Brien. Now I’m being kind so I expect a thank you, but before that, how old are you?”
“I’m twenty- three next week sir,” replied the rather confused Henry.
“Ah, yes, twenty- three, such a young age, lots of memories too; now tell me son, do you have a girlfriend?” asked the curious Mr. Goodman.
“Not currently.” Henry replied awkwardly
“Well, we’ll get you one or two around here.” he said heartily. “With you a bright, handsome, young fellow, why any girl would be an idiot not to fall for you!” exclaimed the overly enthusiastic Mr. Goodman.
Both then stood up and shook hands, well at least Mr. Goodman did. Poor Henry was hanging on for dear life, praying that his arm would remain on his body. Finally, the encounter ended; Henry practically sprinted from the office.
“Heard the good news Henry; here’s your stuff to move in with O’Brien.” said Jen as she placed a heavy box in Henry’s hands.
“Since when is it good news?” said Samantha, “Henry comes to work everyday and slacks off. If he gets a real job, then he’s in for some actual work like the rest of the adults in the office.”
“Aww, did someone not get their happy pills this morning?” Replied Henry.
“No, I did, it’s just that extreme exposure to idiots make me testy.” replied the aggravated Samantha.
“I think you’re just angry that I’ve been working here for three months and got a promotion, when your working here for four years and still haven‘t even been offered one. Any answers Samantha?” responded Henry.
Samantha stood up angrily in such a way that you could tell she was about to slap him. Instead, she walked away furiously, throwing papers as she went.
“What was that?” inquired Lola as she was gazing at the spectacle that had happened.
“Samantha got bitten by the jealousy bug.,” said Bridgette. “Sad thing too, she was just starting to be a little more bearable.”
“Well looks like I have to go to higher places guys. See you when I hit the top.” Henry said sarcastically as he walked away dramatically.
“Like we’ll really miss him.” said Nicole

“Wow...” Henry thought as he hiked the short journey there was to the writing part of the building. As he got there, he was welcomed by none. This was a strange thing for Henry to experience. Usually in a public place, Henry would have multiple friends. In this strange new place, he only knew of one, David O’Brien.
One by one, Henry searched for David’s office. 413, 414, 415... Went his mind. Finally, he reached office 427. Henry knocked on the door as loud as someone with a box in his or her hands could.
“Come in.” said a distant voice.
“It’s Henry Jensen.” Henry said, “Where do I go?” he asked.
“Just put your stuff wherever and come back here stat.,” said David.
“Wow, it’s really dark back here. What are you doing?” asked Henry.
“Did your mother ever let you have fireworks as a child?” interrupted David.
“Yes, but what does that have to do with this?” replied Henry.
“The point is that that’s our next story. Following James Conner and his mysterious past with fireworks and football.” said David matter-of- factly
“I have one question for you Jensen, are you up for the challenge of sports writing?” asked David
“I believe so.,” replied Henry .
“Good, because where we’re going, you’re going to need it.”
And so begins Henry’s journey into writing. With Juliet saved from that morning, let’s move on to her.


Chapter 2-
“I am the boss.” Juliet repeated to herself quietly, not even believing herself as she said it. “Just walk in and tell them what to do. I can do this, I can do this, I can’t do this!”
“Juliet Pearson?” asked a woman.
“Yes?” Juliet replied.
“Come with me Ms. Pearson, you have an important meeting to go to.” said the woman.
“And what is this meeting about again? It’s not that I’m nervous it’s just that... I’m a bit frazzled. By the way what is your name?”
“Ms. Pearson, I understand your dilemma. This meeting is with your supervisor that will evaluate if you can be editor. Her name is Mary Redwood. Now Ms. Pearson, would you like anything to calm your nerves?”
“Nothing, just...I really need to know your name.” said Juliet.
“My name Ms. Pearson is Brandy, but that is not important. Go in there right now please.” said the woman named Brandy.
Juliet walked unconfidently into the bright office.
“Please take a seat Ms. Pearson. Now I will be evaluating you for your pending promotion. Now, do you currently like your job in the advice column?” said Ms. Redwood.
“Yes, I love my job.” said Juliet only to be interrupted by Ms. Redwood.
“Do you have any enemies?” interjected Ms. Redwood.
“I suppose not.” Juliet said
“You suppose not? Mmmmm...” said Ms. Redwood as she wrote something down on her clipboard.
“Any other questions?” asked Juliet
“No, thank you for your time Ms. Person.”
“It’s Pearson.” said Juliet.
“Whatever.” said Ms. Redwood with a flick of her hand indicating that Juliet should leave.
Juliet walked out of the office feeling like she had had the life sucked out of her. She walked down the hallway into the foyer and asked herself if the lady had some psychological issues. She would discuss it all with Ella back at the apartment.
Juliet walked up to her apartment building carefully trying to juggle her groceries in one hand and her keys in another. She decided that she couldn’t do it and set the groceries down on the snowy stoop.
Juliet then entered the apartment and set the groceries down on the counter as she pressed the tiny button to listen to her voice mail.
“Juliet, it’s Goodman. I need you to do another column for this weeks run. Be grateful that people think you’re using your real name for the column. Otherwise we would have psychos running around the city looking for you. Don’t feel too bad about Mary, she’s a real pain in the neck if you know what I mean. I’m counting on you Juliet.” Beep went the machine.
The end of the message was no uncommon thing for Juliet. She was always the dependable one, the smart one, the example. Juliet hated this. Why couldn’t she be different? Or at least have a life besides work.
Juliet ate her simple dinner of toast and went to work on her column.
Reviewing the letter at the top of the pile her thoughts wondered.
She thought of her life. How she was giving advice for love even though she was lonely herself. How ironic is it that her name is Juliet. She shook off these thoughts and moved on.

Dear Juliet,
For one, I love your column. Now I need some advice, girl to girl, unless you’re a guy, in which, guy to girl. That is besides the point. I made a grave mistake in marrying the wrong person. For the public eye I will use fake names. My husbands name is Bill. I fell in love with him as a child an we married as soon as we both turned eighteen. That first thanksgiving, I met his brother, Ted. Ted and I started to get to know each other and we are in love now. We haven’t gotten past a kiss, but I don’t know how long that will last. Bill will be crushed as well as angry, but I don’t want to destroy these two brothers. Help me please. What should I do?
- Torn Tracy




Dear Tracy,
What a wicked web we weave when we choose to deceive. For these words of wisdom come a price. If you are truly happy with Ted, go with him, but do not lie to yourself or others in the process. Tell Bill about Ted, or if you are up to the challenge, try to get Bill to fall out of love with you. It will create less of a tension then if you and Ted together. I wish you the best of luck, and remember, you are still young, don’t be too serious.
Love,
Juliet
After writing this Juliet retired to her bed. She sighed as she looked at the dismal ceiling.
“White.” she said to herself quietly. “What a plain color.” With that comment, Juliet turned off her nightstand light and went to sleep. With the loud noise of the city in the background.
Chapter 3-
Henry walked back and forth in his new office. He was so bored that he was tempted to walk over and visit his friends. With his new boss gone away for business, Henry was free to roam. But where could he roam? Henry was a prisoner in his own freedom.
Henry soon walked out of the office in a sly fashion. He was interested in what everybody else was doing. Did anyone have any friends in this professional place?
Henry then started to follow a mail deliverer. He followed him until they got to J. Pearson’s office. Henry did not know then that this was Juliet. He just assumed that it was a man. Jason or something of that nature.
Henry then got the idea to write a fake letter to this J. Pearson. All he knew about this person was that they wrote the advice section. Henry went back to his office and started to type. What was the persons name? Henry asked the assistant of J. Pearson and she replied Juliet. He asked if she was kidding. She said, Juliet helps all those Romeos out there with love.
So Henry wrote this:
Dear Juliet,
I’m a hopeless sack that is madly in love with you. What should I do?
-Anonymous
Henry thought it would be great fun to see the response. He mailed it anonymously of course to her office and waited

3 comments:

  1. Go easy on me. I didn't edit it yet. So if you've already read it and changed it, I hven't changed it. DON'T BE NIT-PICKY!
    -Jasmine Crespo

    ReplyDelete
  2. (smirk) I would NEVER edit or change anything in your story... What's nit-picky?
    -Allie Neff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story so far! I love it! It is very creative and it's uniquely written! Good work!
    -Rhiannon Cordova <3

    ReplyDelete